Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Dance Your Dance! Improving Lives Through Dance Therapy

Dementia, Anxiety, Stress, Abuse, Low Self-Esteem.   

These are all challenges that many people deal with on a daily basis, yet may have a difficult time accepting. Many people agonize in silence about such challenges, unaware of, or unwilling to explore different options of healing. Many are not aware of dance therapy even though research and training continues to evolve with proven benefits. We cannot allow our nations to continue to develop with individuals who cannot accept themselves, or who are unequipped with the skills and information that will allow them to cope with different issues/challenges.



Anyone who knows me well, knows that I love to dance.  What many do not know is that I too suffered in silence through my struggle with anxiety. Through discussions with a friend, who is a dance therapist, I learned about the American Dance Therapy Association (ADTA) and what dance therapy is about. The ADTA is the only U.S. organization dedicated to the profession of dance/movement therapy and it provides support to the emerging profession of dance/movement therapy through a variety of mediums including training.  The organization serves people in over 40 countries worldwide including Egypt, Italy, Taiwan and Belgium just to name a few. 




I also learned how I could utilize my love of dance as a source of healing.  It was through my initial discovery of dance therapy that my need to inspire people to “Dance their Dance” was solidified. 

The purpose of "Dance Your Dance" is to promote the importance of dance therapy, through advocacy and volunteerism.  By partnering with the American Dance Therapy Association, I am opening the minds of many individuals who are unaware of the healing options that dance therapy provides. If we can work to ensure that more individuals are aware of the beneficial option of dance therapy, then we can break the cycle of silence and begin to accept ourselves. We can begin to dance like only we can. You can begin to "Dance your dance."

Please join me on my journey to tap into the untapped possibilities of the mind, through the power of dance. 

Best
Stacey Greene
Miss St. Kitts and Nevis International 2014






No comments:

Post a Comment